Spring is here in SoCal so I still have time to refashion a jacket for those cool mornings! Here is the AFTER but you will not believe the BEFORE! I think this piece lends some glamor to my very glamorous life as a teacher. Right?
I purchased this jacket for the whooping price of $4.00. It had good structure and shape, but it was just a boring khaki color damask pattern. In addition,it was also in a petite and needed to be bigger for my 5’7, 150 pound frame. My favorite part was the back pleats.
Jacket # 2
I originally planned to use the “Right side” with the embroidery, but ultimately found the wrong side of the fabric to be infinitely more interesting! This piece cost me $5.99.
Step 1– I took out the sleeves from both jackets. Then I opened up the side seams of the khaki jacket and added a blue side panel from the embroidered jacket. This was necessary to make the bust and body wider to fit my frame. Then to make the sleeves match, I had to use one sleeve as the pattern and cut a matching sleeve from the back of the jacket.
Step 2-Next, I added a trim on the neckline made with one of the gold stripes cut from jacket #2. I overlocked the edges of a gold stripe to make it into trim for the collar. In this picture you can also observe the delicate damask pattern on the tan base material.
Step 3-I added back the sleeves with the stripe pattern. In the second picture you can see the detail on the cuff. I turned up the “Wrong” side of the fabric up to make the hem. I thought the overlock edge detail paired well with the trim on the collar and made the sleeve more luxe looking.
Step 4-The final step was to add some detail to the back. I used the same technique used on the collar trim, but made this trim a lot wider.
That is it refashion friends. I hope you like it and and look forward to your comments. Happy refashioning!!!!