This is week 3 of Refashion Runway ALLSTARS! This week the challenge is BUTTONS! I was eliminated on the metallic challenge so I will not need the votes this week. I had a great time though, and wish all of the other ladies good luck in the competition. Thank you to everyone who has voted for me along the way! I hope to do a sew along for the rest of the competition.
I had such fun with the project this week. When I considered the challenge of buttons, I wanted to totally transform the look of an ordinary garment with the use of buttons. I am not into a military or costume vibe, so what could I do that would relate to my life?
Enter a shirt my husband was going to throw away. It was a great denim shirt that had been well worn and loved with a wonderful vintage color and texture. I said "NOOOOOO! I have an idea for that!" I will show you the final product in the next 3 pictures then take you back to how it started...
BEFORE FRONT:Can't believe my husband was going to throw this beauty away!
Step 1) I cut the shirt down to my size using a pattern made from and old shirt of my own. You can use this technique too! Don't throw way your well loved shirt. Take it apart and use it as a pattern. This cuts down so much fitting time of your refashions, especially on the sleeves. Line up the center front and neck. (Notice my pattern has the collar cut out leaving only the neckline) Cut the front.
Step 2) Put right sides together and cut the other side front. Notice that I still have a piece of the old armhole but that is OK
Step 3) Cut the back. I also used my pattern to cut down the sleeves. (not pictured) I didn't cut the darts in the front but did use them in the back to take out some of the bulk.
Step 4) I sewed the shirt completely back together. Then I covered the collar and a bit of the cuff placket with these beautiful pearl and copper buttons from my stash. It took me 2 or 3 tries to get just the right spacing and feel.
Step 5) The last step was to sew a decorative ribbon on the placket to bring in the color of the buttons. I also replace the basic tortoise shell buttons with these beautiful copper buttons that coordinated with the feel of the "stud" buttons.
I can't wait to hear what you think!!! Your comments make me happy!!!